Leonista 100% Karoo Agave Spirit is the first premium 100% agave spirit (Tequila/Mezcal) made from the agave Americana that has been growing in South Africa for hundreds of years. The piña or heart of the agave is slow cooked for no less than 48 hours in a custom designed wood-fired oven, using smoke and fire to turn starches into sugars and give it a distinct smokey flavor similar to that of a Mezcal. The piñas are crushed and fermented with wild yeast extracted from the plant before double distillation in copper pot stills. This process results in a deliciously smooth spirit with a diverse breadth of flavours, from earthy to smokey and herbaceous to vegetal agave. The spirit is a true reflection of the earth and the soil that it comes from. Inspired by Mexico and crafted in South Africa, Leonista uplifts the local communities by giving a percentage of every bottle sold towards supporting African conservation.
- Tequila is a type of Mezcal
- Reposado means ‘aged’ or ‘rested’ in Spanish
- Leonista Reposado is achieved by adding blanco spirit to American oak barrels and allowing it to age for a 3 to 6 month period, where the colour and flavour of the wood draws into the spirit
- A slightly sweet beginning from the oak with a smoky aftertaste and wooden undertones
- This is great for the whiskey drinker
- Best served on ice with a squeeze of lime