Leonista 100% Karoo Agave Spirit is the first premium 100% agave spirit (Tequila/Mezcal) made from the agave Americana that has been growing in South Africa for hundreds of years. The piña or heart of the agave is slow cooked for no less than 48 hours in a custom designed wood-fired oven, using smoke and fire to turn starches into sugars and give it a distinct smokey flavor similar to that of a Mezcal. The piñas are crushed and fermented with wild yeast extracted from the plant before double distillation in copper pot stills. This process results in a deliciously smooth spirit with a diverse breadth of flavours, from earthy to smokey and herbaceous to vegetal agave. The spirit is a true reflection of the earth and the soil that it comes from. Inspired by Mexico and crafted in South Africa, Leonista uplifts the local communities by giving a percentage of every bottle sold towards supporting African conservation.
- Honey Reposado is achieved by infusing raw honey sourced from around Western Cape into the Reposado
- It is subtly sweet with hints of a smoky finish
- This is great for someone who enjoys something a little sweeter
- Best served neat or on ice
- Also delicious in cocktails with a Grapefruit tonic (Palomas) or Ginger Beer (Mexican Mule)
Trophy winner for “Best Tequila Of Show” at the 2019 Old Mutual trophy Spirits Show.