How to Stock Your Home Bar on a Budget
Having a home bar is a fantastic way to entertain friends and family or simply enjoy a cocktail after a long day. However, stocking a home bar can be expensive, particularly if you're aiming for high-quality liquor. Fortunately, there are several ways to create a premium bar experience without breaking the bank.
In this blog post, we’ll share some tips and tricks for stocking your home bar on a budget, all thanks to a little planning, preparation and Norman Goodfellows.
Assess Your Needs and Budget
Before you start shopping for your bar’s booze, it's essential to assess your needs and budget. Consider the type of events you'll host and the drinks you'll serve. Will you be making cocktails, or will you stick to beer and wine?
Once you have a clear idea of the drinks you'll be serving, determine a budget for stocking your bar. Knowing your budget ahead of time will help you prioritize which types of liquor you need to buy first.
Choosing Your Liquor
When it comes to choosing your drinks, there are several ways to save money without sacrificing quality.
- One way to stick to your budget is to select affordable brands. Many affordable brands offer high-quality spirits that can be used in cocktails or enjoyed on their own.
- Look for discounts, deals, and promotions. Many liquor stores offer regular discounts and promotions on certain brands or types of liquor. Keep an eye out for these deals and stock up when you find a good offer.
- Buying in bulk or larger bottle sizes is another way to save money. Larger bottles are often cheaper per unit than smaller ones.
- You can also consider experimenting with lesser-known brands and alternatives to popular spirits. For example, instead of buying expensive single malt scotch, you could try a blended scotch whiskey, which can often be just as delicious at a fraction of the cost.
One other way to save money when stocking your home bar is to buy online. Norman Goodfellows is one of South Africa’s most-loved online wine and spirit merchants. We offers discounts and promotions all month long, and you can often find a wider variety of products online than you would at a brick-and-mortar store. Shopping online is also convenient, as you can browse and purchase from the comfort of your own home.
Essential Liquor List for a Home Bar on a Budget
When it comes to stocking a home bar on a budget, it's essential to focus on the essentials. Here are some recommendations for essential liquor types to have in your home bar:
- Wine – many people enjoy a glass of white or red wine, and so you should always have a few bottles in your bar for every occasion.
- Vodka - a versatile spirit that can be used in a variety of cocktails.
- Gin - perfect for classic cocktails such as the gin and tonic or martini.
- Rum - a great spirit for mixing in tropical drinks or sipping on its own.
- Whiskey - whether you prefer bourbon, scotch, or rye, having a good quality whiskey is a must.
- Tequila - essential for margaritas and other tequila-based cocktails.
In addition to these essential spirits, there are also some versatile and affordable spirits that can be used for multiple cocktails. These include:
- Triple Sec - a common ingredient in many cocktails, including margaritas and cosmopolitans.
- Sweet and Sour Mix - a pre-made mixture of sweet and sour that can be used in a variety of cocktails.
- Vermouth - an essential ingredient in many classic cocktails, such as the martini or Manhattan.
- Bitters - a concentrated flavouring agent that is used to add complexity and depth to cocktails.
- Brandy - a type of distilled wine that can be enjoyed neat or used in cocktails.
- Liqueurs - sweet, flavoured spirits that can be used in cocktails or enjoyed on their own. Some versatile and affordable liqueurs include amaretto, Irish cream, and coffee liqueur.
When building a well-rounded liquor collection on a budget, it's essential to focus on quality over quantity. Instead of buying every type of liquor under the sun, focus on purchasing high-quality spirits that you know you'll use. Consider experimenting with different brands and varieties, but don't feel like you need to have everything in your bar. Stocking a home bar on a budget is entirely achievable with some careful planning and smart shopping.
With Norman Goodfellows you have a variety of options to suit your needs, as well as our well-trained staff who are more than happy to give you advise on your next purchase. Remember, home bars are not for events, you can try buying beers kegs for your event and cater for your family and friends.