How to Plan the Perfect Party with Norman Goodfellows
Do you love to throw parties? Are you known as the life of the party and for throwing great bashes? Well, we’d like to be a part of your next one! Planning the perfect party with Norman Goodfellows is like a pastry chef making a cake - it never flops! Having a trused beverage supplier, such as ourselves, is important in helping you plan the best party yet.
We have a fine reputation for exceptional service and attention to detail, it’s just simply who we are. We offer a wide range of products such as wines, spirits, beers, champagne and more and services that will make any party planning experience as smooth and stress-free as possible. Whenever you need to add a little fun and excitement to your party - Norman Goodfellows will bring you the good time you need!
How to Plan a Party
Let’s kick it to the basics and start at the very beginning, how to plan a party. Now, it’s not meant to be overcomplicated, but there are a few important steps that can help you plan the best party ever. Here are some simple steps to follow below:
Step 1: Set an achievable budget
Before you start planning your party, it's important to set a budget you can stick to. This will help you determine how much you can spend on things like venue, food, and drinks without going overboard.
Step 2: Choose a theme
Choosing a theme can make your party more cohesive and fun. Consider a seasonal theme or something that aligns with your interests or hobbies, such as a “movie-themed” party or a “dress in your favourite colour” themed party. The options are endless!
Step 3: Create a guest list
Make a list of everyone you want to invite to your party, this can be partners, family members, friends etc. This will help you determine how much food and drink to buy.
Step 4: Choose a venue
If you're hosting your party at home, make sure your space can accommodate your guests. If you're hosting at a venue, consider location, size, and amenities. You would also need to secure the venue by making a booking, which could require a deposit.
Step 5: Send out invitations
How can you guests know you’re throwing a party without being invited? Send out invitations at least 2-3 weeks in advance to give your guests enough time to plan.
Step 6: Plan the menu
Great parties have great food and drinks. Consider the dietary needs and preferences of your guests when planning the menu. Don't forget to include non-alcoholic options for designated drivers and non-drinkers.
Step 7: Hire entertainment (if applicable)
If you're planning on having entertainment at your party, such as a DJ or live band, make sure to book them well in advance so that you don’t miss out.
Step 8: Decorate the venue
Bring out your creative side and set the mood for your party with decorations that align with your theme. Don't forget to add some mood lighting to create a festive atmosphere.
By following these easy steps, you’ll have a pleasant, fuss-free experience. If you’re worried you might be forgetting something, have a checklist in place to ensure that you don’t miss anything.
How to Buy Alcohol for a Party
While the concept of buying alcohol for a party is pretty straight-forward, the tricky part is how much you should be buying. You need to consider the below:
- How many guests at your party will be drinking?
- How long is the party going to last for?
- What type of alcohol are you wanting to serve? Is it wine only? Shooters? Or a mix?
- What do your guests like? You need to be accommodating for them.
Ideally, if you’re working on a budget, you don’t want to buy too little and you don’t want to buy too much. To determine how much alcohol to buy, use this formula:
(Number of guests x hours of party) x 2 = Total ounces of alcohol needed
For example, say you have 50 guests attending and the party is 5 hours long, you would essentially need 400 ounces of alcohol, which is about 15 x 750ml bottles. Again, it sounds pretty extensive, so you can use it as a base to determine if that’s sufficient or not.
At Norman Goodfellows, we have a wide range of high-quality alcoholic beverages to choose from, and our knowledgeable staff can provide guidance and recommendations based on your guests' preferences. No matter what type of beverage you’re after or needing for your party, we have everything you need and more here at Norman Goodfellows.
How to Cater Alcohol for a Party
There are many ways to serve alcohol at your party, and all of them are hassle-free too, meaning you don’t need to get involved as much. Some catering options include:
- A self-serve bar: This allows guests to help themselves to a drink, which takes out the admin part from your part of the hosting.
- A bartender: Hiring a bartender to whip up cocktails or serve alcohol to guests ensures that they will be well taken care of.
- A mobile bar: This also includes a professional who can assist with customised drinks such as dirty martinis, long island iced tea cocktails and more!
Self-serve bars are all the craze at parties these days, and for good reason too. Here are some useful tips to help you set up the most successful self-serve bar:
- Offer a variety of drinks: The more the merrier! Limiting your drinks menu leaves your guests with very little freedom to drink what they want. Offering a variety will please every palate.
- Label the drinks: Again, this just helps your guests to differentiate between what is what. Curate simple labels and label each bottle accordingly.
- Provide mixers and garnishes: Give that fancy touch to your guests’ drink by providing optional mixers such as tonics and sodas and garnishes such as berries and lemon slices..
If you’d prefer hiring a bartender to tend to your guests at the party, here are some benefits you can expect:
- Professional service: Bartenders are skilled at their profession and can entertain your guests by doing some fancy drink tricks to craft their order.
- Customised drinks: From cosmopolitans to long island ice teas and Jager bomb shots, the bartender will know exactly how to create the most epic customised drink.
- Less mess and cleanup: They will also keep the area clean at all times.
Alcoholic Party Treats
What’s a party without a little treat? Alcoholic party treats are boozy and tasty and fun for everyone to enjoy. Here are some top-tier alcoholic party treats you should try:
- Cocktail-inspired desserts: This is an opportunity for you to put your chef hat on and try a few tricks. Take your favourite cocktail and turn it into a yummy dessert. Some ideas are Negroni cheesecake, gin and tonic drizzle cake and baileys trifle.
- Alcoholic popsicles: Perfect to cool you down, alcoholic popsicles can be made with fruit or jelly sweets and mixed with your favourite drink. Freeze for a few hours and you have fun treats.
- Boozy ice cream: Those with a sweet-tooth will love this! From red wine floats to boozy snow cones, bring a smile with boozy ice cream.
As a host, your job is to cater to everyone. Don't forget to offer non-alcoholic options for guests who don't drink or who are the designated driver.
Party planners pay attention! We know that planning a party can be a daunting task, but with the right preparation and help, it can be a breeze. At Norman Goodfellows, we offer exceptional service and attention to detail to make your party planning experience stress-free, because the host needs to have fun too right? We also offer delivery services to all major centres and international delivery, as well as alcohol gift wrapping and function and event planning services. Visit us for all your party beverage needs!
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Norman Goodfellows offer delivery services?
Yes, Norman Goodfellows offers delivery to all major centres as well as international delivery.
Does Norman Goodfellows offer gift wrapping services?
Yes, Norman Goodfellows offers gift wrapping services as well as gift cards.
Can Norman Goodfellows assist with function and event planning?
Yes, Norman Goodfellows offers function and event planning services to ensure your party runs smoothly.
Does Norman Goodfellows offer non-alcoholic options?
Yes, Norman Goodfellows offers a wide range of non-alcoholic beverages for guests who do not drink or who are the designated driver.