How to Make the Perfect Margarita
Going back to cocktail basics, a margarita is a refreshing 3-ingredient cocktail that is delightful to sip on. Whether you order one to drink when you’re out and about or unleashing your inner mixologist at home; it’s always a good idea to have a margarita. It’s believed that the margarita originated in Mexico at a bar in Juárez named Tommy’s Place.
Since then, people from all walks of life who enjoy a casual drink here and there, enjoy the taste and flavours of a perfectly crafted margarita. Like any other drink, premium quality ingredients are key to bringing out its freshness and authentic flavours. If you chose a low quality tequila, the margarita might not taste the same as the original.
Here at Norman Goodfellows, we pride ourselves in providing only the best and premium products out there. We have been a trusted beverage supplier for years now and have no chances of slowing down. For all your wine, beer, spirit and other beverage needs, you can always count on us to deliver the best.
Classic Margarita Recipe
Fancy enjoying a classic margarita in the comfort of your own home? Here’s everything you need to recreate a deliciously refreshing classic margarita. From ingredients and equipment to method and decoration, we’ve got you covered.
- 2 oz (60ml) high-quality tequila
- 1 oz (30ml) lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 oz (3oml) triple sec or orange liqueur
- Lime wedge, salt or sugar and ice are all optional
- Rim the glass with salt or sugar. Dip the rim of the glass in tequila and then place it on a plate of sugar or salt.
- Mix the ingredients in a cocktail shaker. Combine the tequila, lime juice and triple sec and add in a handful of ice cubes.
- Shake, shake, shake! Close the cocktail shaker and shake vigorously for about 15 seconds.
- Strain and serve. Place a few ice cubes in a glass and strain the margarita into it. Garnish with a lime wedge.
Here are some tips to help you make the perfect margarita:
- Use high-quality and fresh ingredients for the best flavour.
- The key to a great margarita is finding the right balance between sweet, sour and strong.
- Shake the margarita ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice to chill the drink and mix the flavours together well.
- Rim the glass for an authentic margarita experience.
- Always serve it cold and experiment with new flavours as you go along.
While the classic margarita recipe is delightfully delicious on its own, don’t be shy to get creative and try different margarita variations; you might be pleasantly surprised!
- Frozen Margarita recipe: Combine 60ml tequila, 30ml lime juice, 30ml triple sec and ice in a blender until the mixture is smooth and slushy. Rim the glass with tequila and salt and pout in the frozen margarita.
- Margarita on the rocks recipe: Combine 60ml tequila, 30ml lime juice, 30ml triple sec in a cocktail shaker and serve directly in a glass with ice. Garnish with lime if desired.
- Flavour variations (strawberry, mango, etc.): Keep the usual ingredients such as tequila, lime juice and triple sec, but try garnishing with fresh fruit such as strawberries, blueberries or mango.
- Margarita mocktail recipe: For the non-alcoholics, this one's for you. Stir together 60ml lime juice, 30ml orange juice, 30ml simple syrup and 120ml sparkling water until well-combined. Garnish as you wish and serve!
Making Margaritas from Scratch
If you’re feeling ambitious and want to make margaritas from scratch, we salute you! Out of all the ingredients needed to make a perfect margarita, you will just need to make the simple syrup from scratch as the limes and tequila is store bought.
Here’s an easy recipe for simple syrup:
In a saucepan, combine 1 cup of granulated sugar and 1 cup of water. Stir slowly and continuously over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and allow the syrup to cool. Once cooled, transfer to a clean jar and bottle for storage.
Instead of buying bottled lime or lemon juice, it just takes a bit more effort to squeeze the juice out of fresh limes or lemons. Then, bring it all together by infusing the tequila, and the lime and the syrup!
Margarita Ingredients: Quality Matters
Quality will always trump quantity. Have you ever ordered takeout and one bite in, you can taste that the meal isn’t fresh? The same concept goes for alcoholic beverages - using fresh ingredients and high-quality alcohol is so important. Not only does it impact the overall flavour of the drink, but it can alter the aftertaste too. Paying a little bit more for high-quality products and fresh ingredients will ensure you craft the perfect margarita at home.
Not sure which tequila or triple sec you should go for? Here at Norman Goodfellows, we offer a wide range of premium and high-quality products for your home alcoholic crafts. Visit our website to view our tequila and triple sec available and if you have any questions or need some assistance, contact us on using the specific branch details here.
Tools and Equipment
If you want the authentic margarita experience, you will need to invest in a cocktail shaker and specific glassware for your margaritas. Here are some essentials tools you’ll need to make the perfect margarita:
- Cocktail shaker. This is used to mix and chill the ingredients of the margarita.
- Citrus juicer. This is useful for extracting fresh juice from limes or other citrus fruits.
- This is a measuring tool that is used to accurately measure and pour liquids.
- Margarita glass. It’s not essential, but it will provide you with an authentic experience. A margarita glass has a wide, shallow bowl and stem.
- Bar spoon. This is a long handled spoon that is handy for stirring cocktails to ensure a proper mix.
- A muddler is useful if you enjoy margarita variations. It gently crushes ingredients to release their flavours.
- Ice bucket and tongs. Keeping a supply of ice is important for chilling your margarita. The tongs make it easier to scoop the ice.
Serving and Garnishing
It doesn’t make sense to pour whiskey in a shot glass, so there’s no reason why a margarita should be served in anything other than a margarita glass. To identify this type of glass, look for a glass that has a wide, shallow bowl and long stem towards the base.
Now, this part is entirely optional, but many classic margaritas arrive rimmed with either salt or sugar. To truly immerse yourself in the margarita crafting experience, following through with this process just magnifies the flavour and taste of it. Don’t forget to accessorize your margarita with either a lime wedge, jalapeño slice or a slice of pineapple.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make a Margarita without a shaker?
Yes, you can still make a margarita without a shaker. You can stir it instead of shaking it in the cocktail shaker.
Can I use a different type of alcohol instead of tequila?
Traditional margaritas are made with tequila, but you can experiment with different types of alcohol to create a unique variation.
Can I make Margaritas in bulk for a party?
Yes you can! The more the merrier for everyone to enjoy.
Making the perfect margarita at home is certainly possible, and you don’t have to be a qualified mixologist to do it. All you need is high-quality tequila and triple sec, fresh lime juice, simple syrup and required equipment and before you know it, you’ll be sipping on a delicious margarita, taking in the scenery.
Not sure where to shop for high-quality alcoholic products? Look no further than Norman Goodfellows. Your one stop-shop for all things beverages, party, gifting and more! Ready to test your skills in the kitchen? Add some tequila and triple sec in your cart, we’ll deliver it and you do the rest! Have one for us too and don’t forget to share your newly-founded hobby with friends and family. Cheers!